The Kentucky Open Records Act of 1992 made it possible to obtain most recorded information from government entities. Marshall County has adopted a policy for any Open Records Request, as outlined below:
- All applicants must complete a copy of the Open Records Inspection Request Form. (download here)
- The Inspection Request Form shall be submitted to the Official Custodian by mail, fax or email:
Fiscal Court Clerk
1101 Main Street
Benton, KY 42025
*Requests should be itemized and described as clearly as possible by the applicant.
- A determination will be made within three (3) working days from the date of the application (excepting Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays) regarding approval of the request, and applicant will be notified in writing of the decision within the three (3) day period.
- Upon approval of the request, a date, place and time of inspection will be noted on the Inspection Request Form with any reason for delay in inspection time.If the request is denied, a statement will be provided as to why the records are being excluded and how the Open Records Law applies to the record being withheld, including the specific exception authorizing the withholding of the record.
- Certain items may be excluded in whole or part if they contain exempted information as prescribed under KRS 61.878.
- During inspection, all records shall be re-assembled by the applicant in the order in which the records were originally filed. If copies are removed from clips or bound folders, these documents shall be replaced in their original order in a neat and orderly fashion.
- No person shall remove original copies of public records from this office without the written permission of the Official Custodian.
- Copies of records are available for the following charges, payable in advance:
a) Non-commercial document requests $ .10 per copy b) Non-commercial recordings, computer disks, tapes $5.00 per copy
- Commercial requests, special requests, or those requested in a non-standardized format may be subject to higher fees taking into account loss of staff time and actual cost of reproduction.
- The applicant shall also be charged for any postage costs incurred by the County.
- The application shall be hand-delivered, mailed or sent via fax.