The Kentucky Open Records Act of 1992 made it possible to obtain most recorded information from government entities. Marshall County has adopted a policy for any Open Records Request, as outlined below:
- Please use the Open Records Request Form with as much information regarding your request so that we can efficiently and effectively fulfill your request.
- The Open Records Request shall be hand-delivered, mailed, faxed, or emailed to the Records Custodian located at 1101 Main Street, Benton, KY 42025, or by fax to 270-527-4795, or by email to email@example.com. Requests should be itemized and described as clearly as possible by the applicant.
- A determination will be made within the timeframe allowed by law and applicant will be notified accordingly.
- Upon approval of the request, the Records Custodian shall provide the responsive records that are in existence by appropriate means. If the request is denied, a statement will be provided as to why the records are being excluded and how the Open Records Law applies to the record being withheld, including the specific exception authorizing the withholding of the record.
- Certain items may be excluded in whole or part if they contain exempted information as prescribed under KRS 61.878.
- Copies of records are available for the following charges, payable in advance:
a) Non-commercial document requests $ .10 per copy b) Non-commercial recordings, computer disks, tapes $5.00 per copy
- Commercial requests, special requests, or those requested in a non-standardized format may be subject to higher fees taking into account loss of staff time and actual cost of reproduction.
- The applicant shall also be charged for any postage costs incurred by the County.
- All provisions shall be followed pursuant to KRS 61.870 to KRS 61.884.