A building permit is issued by the Marshall County Building Office to applicants following approval of their application and their submitted documents. The permit is issued granting approval to begin construction of the approved project, upon payment of the plan review and inspection fee, also known as the permit fee.
Commercial Permit Application Process
What requires a permit?
- New Construction
- Storage Buildings
- Renovations that alter the structural integrity of the building
- Change of Use – when a building is being used for one type of occupancy (i.e. Business office converted into a restaurant)
Building Plan Submission Process
The following documents must be submitted:
- Two complete sets of plans(Site Plan, Site Survey, and Construction Plans)
- a digital copy of the plans may substitute one set (see requirements below)
- One set of specifications (if available)
- One Marshall County Commercial Building Application completed and signed (pdf).
- One copy of Zoning Compliance if the project is within city limits.
Building Plan Requirements
Site Plan & Site Survey
- Property lines and platted easements
- Roadway and entry locations
- Note all required building setback lines
- Building footprint and location of existing structures
- Indicate location of new building services (i.e. Utilities)
- Plans should be drawn to scale and or clearly dimensioned
- Complete building plans showing use of all areas
- Floor Plan showing location of aisles, storage systems, industrial equipment etc.
- All appropriate wall, floor and foundation sections and details
- Foundation Plan meeting seismic design D-1
- Floor and Roof Framing Details (if factory manufactured trusses are used, provide manufacturer spec sheet)
- Fire Suppression Design (if applicable)
- List all design loads for the building
- Earthquake Design data
- Details showing all accessibility features for the physically disabled